Friday, April 16, 2010

Solitary Man

I ain’t a joiner. Just the way it is. Have been a part of some mighty big groups over the years on the path from back there to up ahead. Yes, indeed. Some mighty big groups. US Military. That kinda big. As groups go, that is a mighty big group. Use to be in that group and a few others as well. Guess I still am in a way. Just ain’t a joiner. At least not any more. At least a whole lot less than I ever was if I ever really was. Like anything though, that is about me. It ain’t about the groups.

Groups are good things. Many can do more than one. Just a fact. It is a reality we live with everyday. Test it for yourself. Try to move that pile of dirt or bricks from one place to another place and see how long it takes you. Then get a few friends. Maybe even a few more. Have them pitch in moving the pile. That pile becomes the pile that was and the new pile becomes the pile that is a heck of a lot quicker with more hands moving stuff from point A to point B and maybe even a few other points along the way.

Each one of us has energy. It takes more than one of us to have Synergy. That happens when you add one person’s energy with another person’s energy and get the energy of three. Add more and the energy can increase exponentially. That’s a lot. Synergy is really good energy. When Synergy kicks in, whoa, baby, watch out. The collective becomes that hive of bees and does some mighty sweet things. When that happens, it is awesome to be part of the group. That is when groups rock. A whole bunch of pedals to the same medal forges hot, baby. Yessir-re-di.

As for me, I kinda cooled when it comes to groups. Just not a joiner anymore. The not being a joiner thing is about me. I change a lot. Evolve. My evolutions feels like revolutions at times. I go so fast at times I have to stop and ask myself for directions. That attracts some and repulses others. Used to worry about that. A lot. Worried a lot about what others thought of me and if they would let me fit in. Don’t worry about that much any more. In fact, fitting in kinda scares me nowadays. Groups are too slow for me now. Too slow to change. Groups are like ships and ships don’t turn worth a damn. They get moving and then just keep moving in that direction cause it is just easier to keep going where they said they needed to go. Ships are slow to get moving in the first place and then hard to change once they get into motion. Changing directions just is not something they do well. Turning them babies around is not for the nimble and swift. Turning them babies around takes patience and a lot of room before the crash. Groups are like ships. A lot like them when you think about it. Even more like them when you don’t.

I guess I was in the groups while they were headed in the same direction I was. Kinda. At least close enough that I didn’t wonder what the fuck as they headed for the rocks with their heads up their ass. Groups lose their way quicker than people do and then take longer to even accept the possibility they are lost. I got lost from them before I continued to get lost with them. Now, they can just get lost. Me? I am busy finding my way.

Some folks are still with me. I don’t think of them as a group though. Just the folks that are with me. Just the folks I am with. Sometimes we have differences of opinions. Not on the big things though. Like being inclusive and positive and sharing and making the right choices more and more. There are more and more people like that. A group of folks just like me. Not a group though. More like little ships that pass in the night, blow the whistle, and then travel together for a while. A whole bunch of little ships that can. Most even do. Nice to know there are other ships out here on these uncharted waters. Ships that let me be me as I let them be them. Good ships. Ships that are not suckers anymore for groupthink.

I don’t try to change them and they don’t try to change me. We work on ourselves, compare notes, keep the good stuff, and ignore the rest. Sometimes they are out in left field on some stuff. Heck, sometimes they have their head so far up their ass I wonder what ever linked us in the first place. Then I remember that time when I had my head up my own ass. It was only once. I think it lasted a lot longer than I admit and made me pretty shitty even though I pretended to be alright. Remembering that helps me remember they will get their heads out of their asses sooner or later. If not, that is about them. If they keep their head up their ass too long, they will just go join some group where everyone has their head up their ass so each one of them sees the same thing. Sounds kinda shitty to me. Hope it works out for them. Meanwhile, I am busy running my own ship.

Running my own ship keeps me busy. Really, really busy. It takes everything I have and everything I am just to keep my head out of my ass on a daily basis. Feels good to breathe in the clean air though and share some of the fresh air from where my ship is. Hope you like it. If you do, that is about you. If you don’t, you probably have your head up your ass and that is alright too. Some mighty fine folks did some of their very best work right after they pulled their head out of their ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment