Thursday, October 7, 2010

Genesis

Keep your hands off Genesis. It is mine. It is ours. I need it and you have no right to mess with it. It is written in stone. I heard it as a child and believe just as I did then. It is where we started. Where I started. Where it all started. It is about Paradise and creation and earth and God and so much more. I feel the heaven that was Eden. Feel it lost. Feel it there just out of reach. I understand the temptation and weakness. All for an apple. All from some snake. One bite and all things would have been different. It helps me realize we are born missing it. Missing what was ours. Missing what we had and what was gifted to us so that everything would be alright all the time. Leave it alone! It is Genesis for Christ’s sake! It is in the Bible! It is Holy and written and is the started point before the floods and plagues and babbling, begetting, and screwing things up so bad that Jesus had to come and die so we remembered. Genesis starts it all. Leave it alone. I ain’t sure of the ending. At least let me be sure of the beginning. Back when things were paradise. Back before we could even write. Before we even had to write. Back when we were all good and there was enough for all of us. Even if all of us was only two. Only two. Comfortable. Naked. Warm. Then we had to eat the apple. We just had to mess it all up. We just had to have things our way. We just had to want more than we had. Leave Genesis alone. Haven’t we messed things up enough? Let me have my bible stories. Leave my Eden alone! You weren’t even there, monkey people. You came from someplace else remember? Leave my roots alone! They aren’t even yours. You don’t have roots. You have tadpoles and fish and e-volution. You evolved. I was created. Leave my creation alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment