Monday, November 15, 2010

A very important Birthday (Happy Birthday to my wife, Sharon Van Wagner)

Birthdays are important. Each of us have one and that day feels sorta special each year when we remember when we arrived and kinda celebrate that we made it through another cycle around the sun. We like that we are here and measure how long we live based on own very special birthing time. Birthdays are important.

One of the most important birthdays in my life isn’t even my own. It happened after mine. Almost 10 months after. In the state next to the state where I was busy learning that milk came from less beautiful places, too. New York, in fact. (Not the milk. The state next to my state. Keep your mind on my words and not on my images.) A birth that had to happen after mine so she could say she was younger all the time. She had to be born then to the people that were her Mom and Dad. It had to be that way so they could move around a bit and end up in Keansburg at exactly the right time. At exactly the time she thought she wanted to meet boys and I was discovering new hungers, too. If she hadn’t been born to those parents and ended up in my life at exactly that time, you would be reading about something else from someone else….even if that someone else was still me. I am who I am because of meeting her when I did and doing the things we did from that time until this time.

Yes, we did those things. Once she got over not liking me and I got over not liking her, we did those things a lot. A real lot! We did those things in the back seat of cars, in her house, my house, a delivery van, on some pine needles, then in North Carolina, Germany, Massachusetts. Florida, England, Virginia, Texas, Utah, and even on trips, too. Those things like sharing and caring and loving and changing. Those things that made us an us and then let us become me and her without losing the us part.

Her birthday had to be when it was and where it was so she could be who she was and is and becomes. Her birthday changed my life. She changed my life. Along the way, we each got better. We celebrated the highs together and weathered the lows together, too. We became parents and then grandparents. We fought and then made up. We changed and then adjusted. We are very different than we met and we get a little more different as the years become decades and the odds of us making it increase a bit everyday.

Today marks the day of a very important birthday to me and it ain’t even my birthday. Birth is once. Love is forever.

Happy Birthday, Sharon

I love you, Gil.

No comments:

Post a Comment