Friday, September 17, 2010

Page Turner

A glance at the photo flashed the memory to fullness. She smiled one of her “please notice me” smiles that sucked all eyes to her pitiful need for attention. A waste. Most would have noticed her anyway, just in a good way instead of a who is that asshole kinda way. So be it. Ruined the photo but helped me realize why she was out the picture book of my life. Those beautiful teeth were tough to swallow. I got fed up and left for greener pastures. Hope she is happy. I turned the page and continued the search.

Three pages later, a face in the background was the face in my foreground. Thirty years ago? Would I know her at the restaurant? Would she know me? Who were we now and would who we were then be enough to sustain us until we knew? Was she still sweet and cute and take good notes? Did she still like French Fries more than any other lunch except on pizza day? Did she still do that blowing the bangs out of her face thing that made it difficult for me to focus? Would desert be what I hoped like it was yesterday all over again? It was only Thursday night but felt like Saturday and this Saturday was three decades overdue.

Polo where Hai Karate used to go, I headed to the restaurant to dine with yesterday’s why didn’t I. Damn. My palms were already sweating. Come on, Dude. Get a grip. It’s only dinner. Don’t blow it before she even has a chance to see what she missed out on all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment