Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Flat Iron Building (For my daughter, Kristen Wood.....Happy Birthday)

My daughter, Kristen, and I went looking for the Flat Iron Building one day and couldn’t find it. It should have been easy to find. A landmark building on a landmark island in a landmark city. The Flat Iron is more than an office building. It is an Icon. A district of the City is named after it. It shows up in commercials and shows just like the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Plaza, and the World Trade Center, before. The Flat Iron was featured in tons of movies like…….well, tons of movies. Still, it eluded Kristen and I that day.

We even asked for directions. Yes, reluctantly. One guy looked at me like I was strange. “The Flat Iron Building? What is that?” Come on. What is that? Kristen and I toured the financial district that day. Walked what is kinda the other end of Manhattan for this boy from New Jersey. That is because she and I took the boat from the Highlands rather than the Keansburg-Long Branch bus to the City. The boat ride takes longer and costs more. But it’s a boat ride on the Raritan Bay and that is cool. Saw Sandy Hook and the underside of the Verrazano. Then saw the Brooklyn Bridge and knew exactly what she and I would do that day. We would walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. The Flat Iron became a Quixotic side trip. I didn’t even know the goal that day would be to walk across my favorite bridge in the whole world. Knew it the instant it came into view that day. Suddenly it seemed very right on that specific trip back home for this Jersey boy.

Kristen knew Jersey through my eyes and too few visits. She knew NYC in similar ways and even fewer trips. We were back in the Garden State for a visit. One of the mandatory ones. My mom would have been really pissed if I didn’t come home for her funeral. She was buried the day before Krissie and I took that boat ride to New York City. I needed to get away. Kristen needed to be with me. Rest assured, it wasn’t to bask in my strength that day. I didn’t feel too strong. Felt kinda zombie-ish. Moving through life without much passion. It was nice to go to the City with my daughter and have her be alright with me being quiet or fake and a few other things.

The Brooklyn Bridge became the goal. My mother was born in Brooklyn. She had a Brooklyn Passport she kept in her drawer for years. Not sure where it ended up but it was gone too. Had always loved the Brooklyn Bridge. It was from a long time ago. It was strong and beautiful and special and touched many, many people. Today would be my day to touch it and just let it was comfort me. Kristen was along for the trip.

She and I didn’t find the Flat Iron building that day when we decided we would see it, too. First we looked, then we were a bit frustrated, and later, and since, we laughed that it eluded us. We walked the Brooklyn Bridge that day though. Just me and a special girl I love very, very much. It was just what I needed that day. Sometimes we just need someone by our side.

Didn’t cross over into Brooklyn. Sometimes just walking on the bridge to a place is enough. Plus, I didn’t have a Brooklyn passport any more.

Happy Birthday, Kris. Thanks for being there. I love you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment