Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pebbles and Pinecones

(From a year ago.....maybe it was two......somethings just work whenever)

My granddaughter is amazing inefficient. I invited the two-year-old over to help me in the yard. Time to pick up pinecones and pull some weeds and be together. We started off with her doing pinecones and me pulling weeds. That worked for a bit. Then she wanted to sing about the pinecones so we made up “The Pine Cone Song”.

Pinecone.

Pinecone.

Pine. Pine. Cone.

Then she wanted some fruit snacks so went inside. She came back a while later and decided to help again but the worm got in the way. We stopped to see the worm and found other worms. She likes worms. We played with and watched the worms for a while. She wanted more fruit snacks so the worms were left alone and I kept picking up pinecones, singing “The Pinecone Song” as I did. She returned and decided she was cold so she took off her jacket. That one slowed me down for a moment so I sat with her while she counted to twenty and did her ABCs. She went inside for a drink and waved at me through the windows while I picked up more pinecones. When she came back, she said she was done working. She decided it was time to play in the pebbles so I played in the pebbles. Then it was time to let her hear the pebbles so we walked the pebbled path and listened to them sing their crunchy song. We marched and talked to the pebbles while they talked to us.

“Pebbles. Pebbles. Pebbles, pebbles, pebbles.” A new tune, different than the pinecone song. This was a marching tune. Of course, while marching and swinging our arms like the Royal Guards. That worked for a while and then she decided we needed to take a walk around the block so off we went. She pointed to the flowers and how they matched her purple shirt. We walked a bit more and I pointed to some flowers and said how pretty they were. She corrected me. “Those not flowers. Those dandelions.”

Now she is playing a video game, quite put off that we do not have Nintendo. The yard did get picked up. So did I. My granddaughter is amazing inefficient. I can learn a lot from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment